Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Recap

Thanksgiving has come and gone but this year the holiday left a lingering feeling of gratitude in my heart.  I feel so lucky to have my family so close by and to spend time with them as often as I do.  While it was strange not going to my grandma's house for Thanksgiving this year, it was really nice to try something new-to start some new traditions.  For one, it was nice to have both my family and Arnauld's together.  I always feel torn having to rush from one house to another on holidays.  Spending time all together at our house has come to be a tradition in itself so it was nice to extend that to a holiday.  I love the way our house has become a place that everyone feels welcome.  I have a little sampler above the sink in my kitchen that says, "May your house be too small for all of your friends."  Whenever I am washing dishes after having people over I always read it and smile to myself thinking that it's so true. 
For our Thanksgiving centerpiece I brought in some twigs from outside and made cards for everyone to write something they were thankful for.  Arnauld joked that only a teacher would come up with something like this.  I thought it was a nice way for everyone to reflect on their lives and think of something they were grateful for.  My favorite was Jax's.  He said he was thankful for "stinky garbage trucks," his latest obsession. 

      I was so prepared for all of the things I was making for Thanksgiving that I actually felt bored during the day as I waiting for our guests to arrive.  I had made pies Wednesday evening.  This turned out to be a bit eventful because we lost power half way through the baking time.  Adding to the excitement was Jaxson screaming, "Turn on the lights!"  We used the one small flashlight I happened to have in the house to transport the two pies and two screaming children to my mom's house to finish the baking.  The pies were great and the interrupted baking time didn't seem to effect a thing.  Everything else went really smoothly and with the help of many people, we had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner.
Parmesan Pecan Sweet Potatoes

Cranberry Sauce

Buttermilk Apple Pie

Of course Jax wouldn't have any Thanksgiving dinner.  This is him driving his stinky garbage truck through his pancake.


The biscuits were a big hit.

Ace is a great eater and tried many new things.


     Friday night we had the pleasure of a sleepover with Jaxson and Ace.  Jaxson and I continued the baking with his favorite, "Pink Cake."  These sweet treats are funfetti cupcakes with  pink Pillsubury frosting.  Jax loves to mix and was a huge help in the kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment