Monday, November 29, 2010

Balsamic Tilapia and blogs

   My friend Elena originally sent me the recipe for this easy tilapia dish but it called for lots of onions and peppers, which I don't like.   The original recipe also suggested sprinkling the fish with blue cheese before baking, but I don't tend to use a lot of cheese so I cut this out as well.  My recipe looks nothing like the original except the fact that I also used balsamic vinegar but I would never have tried it had it not been for that recipe. Today was my second time making this dish.  The first time I used squash in place of the peppers.  Tonight I used fresh broccoli and sun dried tomatoes.



Balsamic Tilapia  


Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cups broccoli
1/2 medium onion
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (I used the dry kind from a bag)
1/2-2/3 pounds tilapia
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan.  Add onion, broccoli, and sun dried tomatoes.  Saute and then add balsamic vinegar.  Season with salt and pepper.
3. Rub tilapia with remaining tbsp of olive oil.  Add salt and pepper.  Place in baking dish.  Add balsamic vegetable mix to the top.
4. Bake until fish flakes (about 20 minutes?)


     In other news, our wedding was featured on La Belle Bride today! Arnauld was just daydreaming about being on Oprah yesterday and having 15 minutes of fame.  While this blog is no Oprah, it was really exciting for me.  I spent a lot of time reading blogs as I envisioned our wedding.  I never had a picture of my wedding growing up...actually, that's not true.  I do remember wanting a poofy dress similar to a cupcake.  However, after getting engaged I had a vision of a rustic backyard party where everyone had a great time.  It turned out to be more beautiful than I ever could have imagined and way more fun.  A lot of that was due to all of the great ideas I got from blogs and from working with all of the great people that I met along the way.  Around the same time I was in full wedding planning mode, I read the book The Happiness Project.  It was a lot like Eat, Pray, Love only more real.  It was about a woman who spent a year trying to make herself happier.  Part of her happiness was in making the time for projects.  I've tried to make time in my life for the projects that help me to feel accomplished and provide a creative outlet...hence the blog!  My wedding gave me plenty of projects and it's exciting to see that it is now featured in a place that might provide inspiration to others.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Mook! Your wedding was so inspirational to everyone lucky enough to attend and now it can be shared with many more...If I ever do that (get married), can you help me find my own inspiration, too? <3

    P.S. You should try out my tilapia recipe posted on Facebook. It's the best. I am not trying to brag...actually yes, yes I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something tells me that when the time comes, you will have plenty of creative ideas...but if you are in need of even more inspiration and assistance, you know I'll be there!

    PS I am heading over to your recipes now to find something new and exciting to try!

    ReplyDelete