Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chickpea and Brown Rice Veggie Burgers

     I printed this recipe yesterday and had everything set to go.  Then I opened the cabinet to grab a can of chickpeas and I didn't have any.  So today I was eager to try these out.  The recipe also called for 3 tbsp of fresh parsley, which I didn't have and coriander, which I found out the last time I made veggie burgers, I don't like.  These were pretty simple to throw together...not so simple to flip over.  I'm thinking maybe they need an extra egg white to hold them together or something.  Either way, mixed with the tomato and cucumber it was delicious!

Chickpea and Brown Rice Veggie Burgers



Ingredients

1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2 tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
3 tbsp shredded carrots
3 tbsp scallions, minced
1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 large egg white

Method
1. Place chickpeas in bowl of food processor, pulse for 20-30 seconds.  Add rice and pulse for 10 more seconds.
2. Place rice and chickpea mixture in a large bowl.  Add bread crumbs, carrots, cilantro, lemon, salt and pepper.  Mix.  Add egg white and mix again.  Place mixture in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes (can be stored there overnight).
3. Off heat, coat a grill pan, or grill with cooking spray.  Heat to medium-high heat.
4. Form chickpea-rice mixture into 4 burgers (about 1/2 cup each).  Coat tops with cooking spray.
5. Grill burgers, without moving them, until golden brown and crispy (6-8 minutes).  Carefully flip and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes.

Top with a fresh tomato and cucumber salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment