Sunday, December 19, 2010

Happy Birthday Moose and Otis!

    Today is Moose and Otis' first birthday!  Our little guys are growing up.  They have come so far since we got them last February.  They have distinct personalities, Moose stubborn and dominate at times and Otis cautious and emotional.  Moose loves to cuddle, while when Otis is tired he'll stare at you with drooping eyes until you tuck him into bed.  It is hard to imagine our lives without them. They quickly found a place in our hearts and our little family.




    Last week I got my Real Simple magazine for January.  It was filled with ways to be happier in the New Year.  One of the articles was about things you could learn from your pet, which ties in perfectly with our celebration of the pups' first birthday.  In my own experience, I have found many of the following to be true.

1. Celebrate Everything...Think about it.  Your dog gets excited every time you come in the door, fill their bowl up with food, or bring them for a walk.  Start celebrating the smallest happy moments.
2. Just being present is enough...The author of the article shared about a time after the loss of a close friend when her cats just got up on the bed and snuggled against her.  Just this small act brought her comfort.  She went on to say that at times when you aren't sure what to say, you don't have to say anything at all.  "What matters is showing up."  I really liked that line.
3. Brain Size Doesn't Matter...Pets are really smart if you take the time to observe them.
4. You can get along with anybody...we can learn a lot from pets who seem to embrace everyone-as long as they are brought up in a warm and loving home.
  
     Last night I began my holiday baking.  I'm not going to post about that until after I deliver some holiday gifts.  I'm excited to share my homemade gifts this year.  Taking the time for projects and creativity this year has helped to make me a happier person as well as spread joy to those I care about.  While my treats were baking in the oven, I prepared a simple dinner for Arnauld and I.  Every once in a while we like a good sandwich, often from our favorite deli, Gaitano's and other times we try to replicate their deliciousness at home.  Last night I grilled some chicken and cut up a variety of toppings such as lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, and fresh mozzarella. 
Our Christmas tree complete with homemade garland, a gift from my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment