Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Veggie Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

      Here is another recipe I adapted.  I used to have to follow recipes exactly, aside from my careless measuring when it comes to spices and such.  As I gain more experience, I am learning how to adjust ingredients or throw in what I have.  This recipe idea for Veggie Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms came from Better Homes and Gardens.  It called for way more cheese than I usually eat along with veggies that I didn't have.

Veggie Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Ingredients

  • 1  small  yellow sweet pepper, cut in bite-size strips I hate peppers.
  • 1  small  red onion, chopped I used a shallot
  • 1  medium  zucchini, coarsely shredded
  • 1    carrot, coarsely shredded
  • 1  stalk  celery, thinly sliced
  • 2  cloves  garlic, minced
  • 2 to 3  Tbsp.  olive oil 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
  • 1  Tbsp.  snipped fresh basil
  • 1  Tbsp.  lemon juice I used lime
  • 1  5-oz. pkg.  fresh baby spinach I used broccoli
  • 1/2 1/4  cup  fine dry bread crumbs
  • I also added some grape tomatoes
  • 1/2  cup  finely shredded Parmesan cheese
  •   3 4- to 5-inch  portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
  • 4  slices  provolone cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. In 12-inch skillet cook and vegetables in hot oil over medium-high heat 4 minutes. Stir in  lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper. Remove from heat. Stir crumbs and half of the Parmesan cheese into spinach mixture; set aside.
2. Remove gills from mushrooms, if desired. Arrange mushrooms, stemmed side up, on prepared pan.  Divide vegetable mixture among mushroom caps. Bake for 15 minutes (mushrooms will water out slightly). Top with remaining Parmesan. Bake 2 minutes more or until heated through. Makes 3 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment