Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Avocado Sauce

     One of the nice things about being on maternity leave is that I have been able to spend time with my mom during the day.  Wren and I are pretty lazy in the mornings, she likes to sleep in.  But once we get ourselves going and dressed, we usually make it to hang out with my mom for a bit right around lunch time.  This week, I brought the Red Lentil Curry that I made to share with my mom.  Today I brought a dish I made based on something I saw on Pinterest...where else?  The time spent with my mom is great because it breaks up my day and also allows us to spend some time chatting and loving Wren together. 

Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Avocado Sauce
Ingredients
1 medium sized spaghetti squash
salt and pepper
1/4 cup fresh basil
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 avocado
salt and pepper
2 tbsp water

Method
Preheat over to 375 degrees
1. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise.  Scoop out the seeds and coat the cut side of the squash with olive oil.  Place the squash cut side down on an oiled baking sheet.  Bake the squash in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
2. Remove the squash from the oven and allow to cool down a bit.  Then using a fork, scrape out the inside of the squash.  Season with salt and pepper.
3. Combine the basil and garlic in the food processor.  Add in the olive oil and lemon juice.  Once these ingredients are processed, add the avocado, salt, and pepper.  While the food processor is still running, add enough water to thin out the sauce.
4. Stir the avocado sauce into the spaghetti squash and serve.

The Taste Test
    I left the garlic out of this recipe because my mom isn't a big fan but I bet it would add even more delicious flavor to this simple recipe.  Spaghetti squash is a nice alternative to actual pasta and this sauce is yummy!  You could use it as a dip or as a topping for other dishes such as chicken or fish.





No comments:

Post a Comment