Sunday, November 18, 2012

Back To School Banana Muffins

     I have been dreading tomorrow for the last five months.  November 19th is just about here and that means it is time for me to go back to work.  To say that my heart feels broken would be putting it mildly, the thought of not being with my little girl every minute of the day is really hard.  This past week has been one of my most emotional to date mostly just with anticipation.  I love my job and I love being a teacher but I have come to realize that the way that I view the world now that I am a mom is very different.  It will take me some time to learn to balance my new role as a working mom.
      This past week, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on just how much my life has changed in the last three months.  I have learned so much with the support of so many people around me.  I feel that I have grown closer to my own mom because I can now begin to understand the love she has had for my siblings and I all these years and why she was at times so overprotective.  We are very lucky that Wren will get to spend her days surrounded by family and people who love her.  Also, being pregnant with my sister and having babies within days of each other has also created an even stronger bond between the two of us.  She has been there for me through it all and I am so glad our kids will grow up close.  Arnauld has become a great Dad.  I love watching him with Wren-it's so hard not to light up when you are around her and watching the two of them together fills my heart with happiness.  I have also learned the strength of so many friendships.  Despite not being at work, I have been able to stay connected to all of my friends.  Other friendships have deepened as I share experiences of motherhood with my friends who are already moms.  I am struck every day with how much love can surround our little family and I have never been more grateful.
     Mostly I am grateful for my time with Wren.  She has taught me how to love in a way that I didn't know possible.  Every day that I got to be a full time mom was a blessing and I know moving forward that every moment I am able to share with her will be just as special.  I just really love being a mom.
     Going back to work after a break always gives me a little anxiety.  Going back after maternity leave makes me feel a bit like the new kid joining a class in the middle of the school year.  Friendships and roles have been established and even though this will be my eighth year at the school, I still feel like I am starting for the very first time.  Hopefully the transition is smooth, my passion for teaching returns with full force, and each day leaving Wren gets easier. 

I decided to bring muffins for the first day because I feel funny showing up empty handed!

Banana Muffins


Ingredients
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup grape seed oil
2 large over ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Optional: Waltnuts, raisins, chocolate chips

Method
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Mix the rolled oats, yogurt, and milk in a small bowl.  Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
2. Combine flour, salt, sugar, spices, baking powder, and baking soda in a separate bowl.
3. Add the egg, mashed bananas, and oil.  Mix well.
4. Stir in the yogurt and oat mixture.
5. Fill greased or lined muffin tins until they are 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 16-20 minutes.

Wren's 3 month bouquet from Dad.

My sweet girl.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post Jess. You will do great!
    Hoping to spend lots of time with Wren over this break.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie! Wren is still waiting for a guest spot on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me tear up - beautiful post, Jess. You are such an amazing Mom already. Wren is such a blessed little girl! Love you both. xo.

    ReplyDelete