Monday, October 24, 2011

Happy Birthday October!

    September's cake of the month was well received at work.  I'm hoping October's cake is also a success.  I was lacking inspiration for this month's cake and was even wondering if I could skip a month, no one would even notice!  But I committed to this project so I'm going to do my best to stick it out.  I flipped through my recipe book and did a few quick searches online, but nothing really hit me and if it did, it was way too complicated to fit in between homework and work for this coming week at work.  My trusty Cooking Light book really came through for me this weekend.  I quick look through and I decided on a Double-Coconut Cake.  I hope everyone who has celebrated a birthday this month had a happy day!

Double Coconut Cake
A Cooking Light Recipe

Ingredients
Cooking Spray
1 tbsp flour
2 1/4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Fluffy Coconut Frosting (see recipe below)
2/3 cup shredded coconut

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Coat two 9-inch round pans with cooking spray and then dust with flour.
2. Combine 2 1/4 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together in a large bowl.
3. Beat the sugar and butter together until fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the flour mixture and milk alternately to the sugar mixture.  Begin and end with the flour mixture.  Stir in the vanilla.
4. Pour the batter in the 2 pans.  Tap each pan sharply on the counter to help remove air bubbles.  Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.  Cool the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes before turning the pans upside down to remove cakes.
5. When cakes are completely cooled, place one cake on a serving dish and coat with frosting.  Place the second cake on top and then cover the entire cake with frosting.  Sprinkle the top of the cake with shredded coconut.  Loosely cover the cake and refrigerate before serving.


Fluffy Coconut Frosting

Ingredients
4 large egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Dash of salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract

Method
1. Place egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl.  Using an electric mixer, beat at a high speed until firm peaks form.
2. Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the mixture reaches a temperature of 238 degrees (use a candy thermometer to test the temperature).  Drizzle the sugar mixture slowly onto the egg whites.  Stir in the extracts.  Continue to beat at a high speed until frosting is formed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment