Thursday, October 27, 2011

Avocado Spread

    My sister called last week raving about a sandwich she got at a deli in North Carolina.  She said it had avocado spread, lettuce, tomato, bean sprouts-all on really good bread.  I've been thinking about it ever since!  So yesterday, I googled avocado spread, something I've never heard of, and low and behold there were a ton of recipes.  Turns out avocado spread is great on sandwiches and also as a dip.  I tried the first recipe I clicked on and had a chance to try it out tonight.  The recipe called for ranch dressing mix, which I think made the spread way too salty despite the fact that I cut the recommended amount way down.  But I think I'm onto something.  The real test will come when my sister gets home (on Sunday...can't wait!) so she can help me figure this recipe out.  I didn't have bean sprouts, but I used the spread on a sandwich thin topped with lettuce and tomato.  It was tasty and the salty taste was subdued a bit by the bread and veggies.  I'll keep you posted on my progress in perfecting this recipe.

Avocado Spread...take one
 An allrecipes.com recipe

Ingredients
1 avocado
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp dry ranch dressing mix
1/2 tbsp light mayonaise

Method
1. Cut the avocado in half and scoop the inside into a small bowl.
2. Squeeze in lemon juice then add the ranch mix and mayo.
3. Mash the avocado into the rest of the ingredients with a fork until it is spreadable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment