Monday, August 19, 2013

Two Cheese Mac and Cheese

     The September issue of Cooking Light is full of great meals that are kid friendly.  This is the second recipe I have tried in 12 hours-last night we made salmon. When I saw this recipe for mac and cheese, I immediately thought about how I could doctor it up to be a more nutritious lunch that I could send in Wren's lunchbox when I go back to work.  My friend Erin recently told me about quinoa pasta, that her daughter Hazel loves.  I bought a box and used it in this recipe to add some extra protein.  I also steamed and food processed kale to sneak in some vegetables.  Wren is a big fan of kale, go figure.  Most other green things, she turns her nose to these days.  Here's hoping that this dish doesn't end up on the floor!

Two Cheese Mac and Cheese

Ingredients
10 oz elbow macaroni
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 1/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
1/2 cup milk
6 tsp flour
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Cooking spray
3/4 cup shredded cheddar

Method
Preheat broiler on high
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.  Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes.  Stir in one cup of vegetable broth.  Cook for 1 minute.  In a small bowl, combine the remaining broth, milk, and flour with a whisk.  Add this mixture to the skillet.  Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken. 
3. Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese until smooth.  Add the kale, salt, and pepper before stirring in the pasta. 
4. Transfer the pasta to a baking dish coated in cooking spray.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and then broil for 3 minutes or until the cheese melts and begins to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment