Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Penne and Zucchini with Lime and Herbs

     I feel like I haven't posted in forever...but it's only been about a week!  Arnauld and I just got home from visiting my sister and her family in North Carolina.  We had a great time playing with the kids and just spending time together.  While we were traveling, I picked up a Rachel Ray magazine and while our flight was delayed last night, Arnauld and I picked a recipe to make for dinner tonight.


Penne and Zucchini with Lime and Herbs

Ingredients
Salt and Pepper
1 lb penne pasta
2 medium zucchini
3 tbsp olive oil
1 chili pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 limes, juiced
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup mint, chopped
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1 cup grated pecorino-romano cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts

Method
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add salt and pasta and cook until al dente.  Drain and save 1 cup of the water.
2. While the pasta is cooking, cut the zucchini into fat matchsticks, about 1/4 inch by 2 inch strips.
3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.  Stir in the garlic and chili peppers and cook for one minute.  Add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper.  Cook 8-10 minutes or until tender.
4. Add the lime juice to the zucchini and stir in the butter until melted.  Add the pasta, parsley, mint, and basil along with a handful of the cheese.  Stir in the reserved water from the pasta.  Toss for one to two minutes.  Top with more cheese and the pistachios.

The Taste Test
   Yum!  This was a simple and very tasty dish.  I even threw in some yellow squash along with the zucchini.  Delicious!

3 comments:

  1. We made this dish the very same night you posted the recipe! I loved the fresh, yet subtle flavors of the mint and lime in this dish. Pasta dishes can sometimes be a bit heavy on the palette so the mint and lime were just the right ingredients to lighten up the dish! And the fresh vegetables added a boost of nutrition and flavor without any need for sauce. Deeeeelish! Thanks, Mook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I think I need to hire you to write reviews for my recipes! I always say "Yum" or "delicious" but you painted a much better picture. I'm glad you liked this pasta, we loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaha! Feel free to use me anytime...though I very much appreciate your simple "yum" or "yuck" reviews; they tell me what I need to know!

    ReplyDelete