Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Scallops with Pesto

    A quick trip to  my mom's today and we were gifted some homemade pesto made with basil from my parents garden-plants courtesy of who else but Gram.  My mom threw a twist into her pesto and used almonds instead of the traditional pine nuts.  The result was a drier and nuttier tasting pesto that I thought was really great.  I've heard that you can use a variety of nuts to make pesto.  I think I might try walnuts next!

Scallops with Pesto
Inspired by Rachel Ray

Ingredients
1/2 lb scallops
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium tomatoes
2 tbsp pesto (you can use store bought pesto or make your own)
2 tbsp fresh basil

Method
 1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat.  Pan sear the scallops until they are golden on each side-about 2 minutes per side.
2. While the scallops are cooking, chop 2 tomatoes into bite sized pieces and mix in chopped basil.
3. Serve scallops over the tomato.  Drizzle a bit of pesto on each scallop before serving.

The Taste Test
     A delicious dinner in about five minutes.  Can't beat that!  Thanks to my mom for sharing her pesto-the almonds made it taste great.  For those of you keeping track, I'm now a fan of scallops.  It only took 28 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment