Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blonde Brownies

     After reading Lele's post, on her blog Short & Sweet, about Conga brownies that she made in honor of Irene's visit to the East Coast, I was inspired to try something similar for yet another last minute dinner party.  Tonight's dinner party included my parents, brother, and his girlfriend Annie.  It is a last minute dinner party, consisting of pizza ordered from the first open pizza place we could find, because my parents lost power at their house so I invited them to come hang out with us tonight.  I would have used the exact same recipe as Lele, however I did not have that much brown sugar!  Instead I found a recipe on allrecipes.com for a Toll House recipe for Blonde Brownies.  Tonight we are celebrating that we are all safe from the storm and hoping that all our loved ones can say the same.

Blonde Brownies

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 packed brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) package of of semi sweet chocolate morsels (I used milk chocolate because it was what I had)

Method
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until it is soft and creamy.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Gradually sift in the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
3. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.  Spread mixture evenly in pan. 
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. 
5.  Cool on a wire rack before cutting and serving.

The Taste Test 
   My dad ate more than one, a sign that he liked these brownies better than he liked my key lime pie sandwiches.  These came out nice and moist and delicious.  I forgot one step that Lele suggested, tossing the chocolate chips in flour before stirring them into the mix to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the brownie.  I'll have to remember this for next time!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this Jess!! So glad you tried a recipe like the Congo bars, these ones look pretty similar and the picture looks like they came out great :)

    ReplyDelete