Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Key Lime Pie Sandwiches

    From time to time my mom would mention recipes she got from her daily emails from Hungry Girl, some of them are pretty good-like the Asian Broccoli Slaw she made for Father's Day.  I recently signed up to receive the emails myself.  I'm not always a fan of everything suggested because it uses a lot of artificial substitutes to cut down the calories in popular dishes, but every once in a while something stands out and I save the email in order to give something a try.  That's what happened with this recipe for Key Lime Pie Sandwiches.  My Dad is a big fan of key lime pie and he has a recipe that he likes to whip up to show off his baking skills (it's a no bake recipe!).  His recipe calls for sour cream, while this recipe uses plain Greek Yogurt.  I plan to bring my Dad one of these treats and see if he can tell the difference.

Key Lime Pie Sandwiches 

Ingredients
1/2 cup plain Chobani Yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
2 sheets of graham crackers

Method
1. Place the yogurt in a small bowl and mix in the sugar and lime juice.  Cover and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the filling from the freezer and spread half of the mixture over half a sheet of graham crackers and then top with the other half.
3. Place sandwiches in the freezer to set for about an hour.

This recipe makes just 2 sandwiches.

The Taste Test
     Dad said he wasn't sure it tasted like key lime pie.  He went on to say, "it's not something I would say is wonderful and delicious and it hurt my tooth so it didn't make it easy.  It was ok...just ok."  Then he kept going, "it wouldn't be something I'd say, do that again.  I like the creamy part of my pie."  So needless to say, he wasn't a big fan.



No comments:

Post a Comment