Saturday, August 6, 2011

Grandma's Eggplant

     The vegetable of the week is eggplant.  My Grandma picked at least 10 medium sized eggplants from her garden this week.  So we spent the morning making breaded eggplant together.  This is one of my favorite things my Grandma makes.  She even freezes it and occasionally surprises me with some throughout the year, when I least expect it.  As I've said before, my Grandma doesn't really use a recipe but I'm going to attempt to get it down in case I ever want to make it on my own.  This eggplants tastes great on it's own, made into eggplant Parmesan, or as part of a sandwich.

Breaded Eggplant

Ingredients
2 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
2 eggs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups breadcrumbs
olive oil

Method
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
1. Beat the eggs in a small shallow bowl then mix in the Parmesan cheese.
2. Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
*3. Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with olive oil.
4. Dip each piece of the sliced eggplant into the egg batter.  Place it in the breadcrumbs and coat completely.  Place the eggplant in a single layer on the baking sheet.
5. Once the baking sheet is full, bake in the oven for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, flip the eggplant and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.  The eggplant should be golden and a bit crispy.
6. Transfer to a dish lined with paper towel.

*My grandma actually dips one side of each eggplant slice in a bit of oil and then places it on the baking sheet, oil side up.  If I made them, I think I would try just a bit of oil sprayed to cut down on the amount of oil used.

No comments:

Post a Comment