Saturday, August 27, 2011

Arnauld's Twist on Mediterranean Pasta

     So I am officially back to work, although I worked all summer!  The beginning of this year has been interesting only because I am not preparing for a class as I have the past six years.  Instead I am trying to figure out my new role as a reading teacher.  It has been a bittersweet transition because I loved my job as a classroom teacher.  I loved the clean slate that came with the beginning of the school year and the excitement of getting to know a new group of students.  Right now, I am not sure what to expect but am certain that I will love my new role because I love to teach reading. 
     As  I went back to work, Arnauld had a week of vacation.  The threats of Hurricane Irene have been all that there is to talk about, so he has been completing the to-do lists that I leave for him so that we are prepared for the storm.  Although he thinks I'm crazy, he has gone grocery shopping and bought bottled water and snacks, moved all of the patio furniture into the garage, and even done the laundry.  I sneaked in line, "something for dinner" on yesterday's grocery list.  When I got home from the gym last night, I was greeted with the warm smell of his own version of Mediterranean Pasta.


Arnauld's Mediterranean Pasta
My camera is still not back from being repaired :(

Ingredients
1/2 box penne pasta
1/2 bag of spinach (about 5 oz)
1 can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black olives, cut in half
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
dried oregano
dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
crumbled feta (for topping)

Method
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute the garlic until golden brown.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and beans to the skillet.  Stir in a dash of salt, oregano, and basil.  Increase the heat to medium high to bring the mixture to a boil.
4. After about ten minutes, add the spinach and olives and lower the heat to a simmer. Stir in the spinach until it begins to wilt.  Let the mixture simmer for about 2 minutes.
5. Serve the vegetable mixture over the pasta, topped with a sprinkling of feta cheese.  Arnauld said for a thicker sauce, you can add in the feta in with the spinach and olives.

The Taste Test
     This was a very simple dish, but all of the ingredients really complimented each other.  I liked the texture of the beans against the fresh taste of the tomatoes mixed in with the saltiness of the olives.  I love when Arnauld cooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment