Monday, January 2, 2012

Bean and Arborio Rice Soup

     This recipe was all about modifications.  Yesterday I got January's issue of Vegetarian Times in the mail and before even opening it, I decided I was going to find a recipe to make for lunch this week.  There was an entire section on 30 minute soups, totally what I was in the mood for given the fact that I don't really want to think about going back to work next week.  Because this was a vacation week for Arnauld and I, we haven't been in a regular routine, which means we haven't been to the grocery store for our weekly staples.  I wasn't in the mood for the grocery store today and I wanted to get lunch checked off my to-do list, so I decided to improvise.  Instead of cannellini beans, I used kidney, instead of Italian bread, I used French, and instead of pine nuts, I substituted almonds.  In the end, the soup was still delicious!

Bean and Arborio Rice Soup


Ingredients
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2/3 cup Arborio Rice
3 gloves garlic, minced
3 1/4 tsp chopped rosemary, fresh
6 cups vegetable broth
4 cups cabbage, shredded
1 bay leaf
2 slices French bread, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 can kidney beans

Method
1. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot over medium heat.  Add the rice and toast for about 6 minutes.  Stir occasionally.
2. Add the garlic and rosemary.  Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the broth, cabbage, and bay leaf.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Pulse the bread and almonds in the food processor until it consists of small crumbs.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a separate pan.  Add the breadcrumbs and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the crumbs are crispy.
6. Stir the beans into the soup.  Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Remove bay leaf and stir breadcrumbs into the soup.
8. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Who doesn't like a cute puppy surfing the web?

No comments:

Post a Comment