Sunday, January 22, 2012

Potato and Corn Chowder

     I'm still not back into my cooking groove but I forced myself into the kitchen today to make something for lunch this week-it was either that or pb&j all week.  I found this recipe using the Whole Foods app on my phone.  I had most of the ingredients and it seemed quick and simple.  The recipe also seemed to fit right in with the snowy scene outside my window, although I think it will all be washed away tomorrow by rain...

Potato and Corn Chowder


Ingredients
2 tbsp butter or Smart Balance
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp flour
4 cups of vegetable broth
4 large potatoes, diced
2 cups frozen corn
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

*You can add a pinch of cayenne pepper and chopped parsley as a garnish if you wish

Method
1. In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the flour and mix in.
3. Add the broth.  Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking continuously until smooth.
4. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and add the potatoes.  Cook 20 minutes.
5. Mash the potatoes a bit.  Stir in the milk and corn.  Cook for 5 more minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese.  Season with salt and pepper and garnish before serving.

The Taste Test
    I am a big for of mashed potatoes and when mashed potatoes and corn are served together I often mix them together.  This is just what this soup tastes like.  Yum!

Otis was a big fan of the snow, he just couldn't get enough!

Moose on the other hand, preferred to keep his feet on drier land.

No comments:

Post a Comment