Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sweet Potato, Kale, and White Bean Soup

     I can't stop thinking about the devastation of Friday.  I keep thinking about how much can change in just a days time.  Arnauld and I spent our last few minutes before leaving for work Friday morning in the driveway discussing our plans for dinner-already looking forward to some quiet family time and the weekend.  Yet by the time we were both home from work, the world was a very different place.  All day at work, I felt like I was just watching the seconds inch by, eager to be home and surrounded by my own family.  As I finally walked out of the school building I couldn't help but notice the quiet-a quiet that seemed to whisper the magnitude of the day, a whisper that won't stop running through my being.   I have lived through some horrific days, this my first as a parent.  It is always so hard to imagine tragedy-happening to someone else far far away.  Yet Friday happened so close to home in a setting so close to my every day reality and impacted people that I know personally.  My heart is broken like so many others and I'm left wondering how to keep moving forward with that sad sad whisper echoing everywhere I go.  
    

Sweet Potato, Kale, and White Bean Soup

Ingredients
1 tbsp Grapeseed oil
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 head of kale, roughly chopped
salt and pepper

Method
1. Heat the oil in a large pot.  Add the sweet potatoes.  Stir constantly for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the onion and saute for about 8 minutes.
3. Add a splash of vegetable broth and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the rest of the broth, wine, beans, oregano, and thyme.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add kale and cook for 5 minutes or until the kale is wilted.
6. Season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. These heavy feelings are beautifully expressed and I think they capture how many people are feeling, Jess. I love you and am sending you giant hugs.

    ReplyDelete