Saturday, November 12, 2011

Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potato White Bean Mash

     I'm going to start out by letting you know that this is a baby food recipe.  I had some crazy idea to try to make something with sweet potatoes and white beans and this is what I came up with.  I found the recipe on a blog called Take Back Your Table.   The blog is filled with delicious recipes and awesome pictures!  I can't wait to try more of the recipes.  Unfortunately, my picture of this mash doesn't look all that appetizing, but I promise that it tastes way better than it looks. 

Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potato White Bean Mash

Ingredients
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 tsp cinnamon
1 can white beans (I used Cannellini but you can also use navy or butter beans)
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Toss the potatoes and onion in the olive oil and bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing halfway through.  You should be able to easily stick a fork into the potatoes after baking.
2. Cool the potatoes and onion for a bit and then place them in the food processor along with the cinnamon, beans, salt, pepper, and a bit of water (if needed). 
3. Puree until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.

The Taste Test
If serving this dish to it's intended recipients, babies, leave out the onion, salt, and pepper.  You can serve this dish cool or warm to your favorite kids or as a dip, scooped up with pita chips.  I just ate it hot and it was delicious.  I think you could definitely serve this for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment