Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts

     When my Grandma reclaimed Thanksgiving dinner, I have to admit I let out a little sigh of relief.  Preparing such a variety of food is a huge undertaking.  I still committed to making my favorite Cooking Light apple pie recipe and our new favorite veggie, brussels sprouts. 

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Maple Balsamic Drizzle

Ingredients
Cooking Spray
2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and cut in half (if large)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup

Method
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Toss Brussels Sprouts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
2. Combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil and stir continuously.  Continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
3. Remove sprouts from the cooking pan and transfer to a serving dish.  Drizzle with the balsamic maple syrup topping before serving.

The Taste Test
     Like I said before, I am new to Brussels Sprouts.  This vegetable has never been a staple at our Thanksgiving dinner but this dish was a huge hit with everyone and boy did we have a variety of people around the table! 
     It is always nice bringing my family together with Arnauld's.  His mom and my Grandma get along like long lost best friends.  They reminise about their time back in their "country".  Grandma shares stories about Italy and Marie shares stories from Haiti, but it's as if they are talking about the same place.  I think Grandma just appreciates a fresh set of ears for all of her stories.  As always, we all have so much to be thankful for everyday and it is nice to take the time to reflect on our many blessings on Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment