Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Closets and Lemon (or orange) Ginger Chicken Thighs

    So you would have thought that during a long weekend I would have done a ton of cooking and experimenting in the kitchen...not me!  I did bake cookies for a wedding shower on Friday night and a pot of squash soup yesterday for lunch this week but that's it.  I spent the weekend shopping and then finally taking on the task of flip flopping my closet and Arnauld's.  This involved moving all of my clothes from the closet downstairs to the upstairs closet and moving all of Arnauld's things downstairs.  I've always dreamed of having a large organized closet.  I've never had a closet big enough...even now I don't think everything will quite fit but I'm going to try.  I wanted it to look pretty too, like a celebrity's closet-which is actually more the size of my entire house.  So I painted the closet the color of a Tiffany's box.  It's a color I would never use in a regular room since everything is more earthy, but I like the color and it's perfect for my closet.  Arnauld's things are all in and looking great.  Mine are all over the place still since my dad has promised to help me put down a floor in the closet.  Hopefully it will turn out to be everything I have dreamed!

     So after a busy weekend, the kitchen was feeling neglected so I made dinner tonight.  I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.  Tonight was the second time I made this, the first time I used chicken drumsticks and lemon.  Tonight I used chicken thighs and orange (because I didn't have a lemon).  It was my first time making thighs and legs.  It is a really simple dish, perfect for a weeknight and it's really tasty.  Tonight I also made steamed broccoli and couscous. 

Ingredients
1 Lemon (or orange)
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
8 chicken thighs (I used boneless and skinless)
2 tsp vegetable oil
Sliced green onions and lemon wedges (optional)

1. Finely shred peel from lemon and juice lemon.  In bowl combine the lemon peel, ginger, and salt.  In another bowl combine lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, and 2 Tbsp. water.
2. Rub lemon peel mixture on the chicken.  In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Place chicken in the hot oil.  Cook 7 minutes or until well browned.  Turn chicken and add lemon juice mixture.  Reduce heat; cover and cook 14-18 minutes longer or until no pink remains.
3. Transfer chicken to plates.  Skim fat from pan juices, if desired.  Drizzle chicken with some of the pan juices.  Top with green onions and serve with lemon wedges.  Serves 4.

Just for fun, here is a picture of my pups wearing their very stylish Halloween collars. 

Update: 
My dad put the floor down in my closet today.  He's the best.  Here are some pictures before putting my clothes in...that will take a while!


3 comments:

  1. i love you and your wacky pups! i cannot eat those thighs, though they look extra juicy and delicious!!! i would probably make something similar, but with salmon for my pescatarian ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pups are getting so big!! And dinner looks yummy as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait until you see Moo Moo and O's Halloween costumes. They have been practicing wearing them so they are all ready for trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete