Saturday, October 23, 2010

FYI Pastry puff and pie crust are not the same thing...

    Over a month ago I dog eared a page in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine because it had a recipe for Apple Pie Pops that I thought looked really cute.  I was waiting for it to get closer to Halloween to make them.  Well while at Home Goods, (looking for a warm blanket since I am seeing how long we can go before we turn the heat on) I found a set of leave shaped cookie cutters-similar to the shapes I saw in BHG.  They reminded me of the recipe in the magazine and I decided then and there that when I got home, I would make them.  Since my next stop was the grocery store, I quickly googled the recipe for the Apple Pie Pops to see what I ingredients I should pick up.  I quickly jotted a note, on one of the many Post-It pads that has found it's way into my car.
     Standing in the frozen food section, I was expecting to easily find a roll of pie crust, as it was listed in the recipe.  When I didn't find it, after carefully scanning the aisles, left to right, top to bottom-I spotted sheets of puff pastry.  "That must be what the ingredient list meant," I thought to myself as I threw it in my cart.
     While unpacking the groceries, I began to second guess myself but being the impulsive person I am, I decided to just go for it.  Conclusion, puff pastry and pie crust are NOT the same thing.  Duh, right?  I kept peeking into the oven, hoping that the pops would look like the picture in the magazine.  What I saw were obese leaves, slowly loosing their shape.  Luckily, my guests tonight are not that picky and enjoyed the flakiness of my puff pies.  I guess I'm going to go on another scavenger hunt in another grocery store to find pie crust sold in a roll...maybe it's not even in the frozen food section?  I'll let you know...

"Puff Pies"  When Jaxson saw them, he said, "Disgusting, that cake's dirty."

Ingredients

  • 2  large  apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
  • 1/4  cup  sugar
  • 1  tsp.  apple pie spice
  • 1  tsp.  lemon juice
  •   Dash  salt
  • 1  Tbsp.  cornstarch
  • 2  Tbsp.  water
  • 1  15-oz. pkg.  rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crusts)...Maybe if I read this more closely I would have found the right product!  Careful reading is important.
  • 10    paper or wooden lollipop sticks I found candy apple sticks in the baking aisle
  • 1    egg, separated
  • 2  tsp.  water
  • 2  Tbsp.  sugar
  • 1/2  tsp.  apple pie spice

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium skillet, cook apples, the 1/4 cup sugar, the 1 tsp. apple pie spice, the lemon juice, and salt over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until apples are nearly tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water until smooth. Add to apple mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and well combined. Mixture will thicken quickly.
3. Unroll pie crusts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each crust to a 12-inch circle. Using a 3-inch round or leaf cutter, make 10 cutouts in each circle of dough.
4. Arrange 10 of the cutouts on the prepared baking sheet. Press a lollipop stick firmly into the center of each dough cutout. Spoon a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of each cutout. You will have leftover filling.
5. In a small bowl whisk the egg white and 1 tsp. water until frothy. Use a pastry brush or your fingers to brush mixture around the edge of each dough shape. Place a second cutout of dough on top of the filling. Use a fork to seal the edges, taking care that dough is sealed around lollipop stick.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and remaining 1 tsp. water. Brush atop pie pops. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice. Sprinkle over pops.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet. makes 10 pops.

4 comments:

  1. Next time call me when you're in the store! ;)

    Also, I made this delicious carrot, potato and cauliflower mash tonight that Erik and I really loved...I'll tell you about it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ladypants, i have a decent recipe for pie crust if you ever want to make your own and refrigerate it before baking. it's so easy. let me know if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love the recipe! Send it my way please...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things you point out in red make me think 2 times before eating my own pie. I come back to your blog and just want to tell you. I like baking, and hence puff & pie การบินไทย is doing great in pastry, puff and pie.

    ReplyDelete