Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tabbouleh with a Mexican Twist

     I spent the weekend in Maine with my Mom, Dad, and brother.  It was nice to get away, even just for a bit.  The weather was great, just a little chilly for the beach.  We are heading back to the beach house once school get out.  I'm hoping the weather warms up a bit.  It's really nice to have a place to just escape to on a whim.  My parents have done such a great job with the place.  I'm really proud of them and happy that they also have a place to go that makes them happy.
     While driving back home, I realized I hadn't thought about lunch the week.  Luckily, I texted Arnauld a grocery list and he picked up a few things for me.  I was able to make this quick, healthy, and tasty dish pretty much in the blink of an eye.

Tabbouleh 

Ingredients
1 cup water
3/4 cup bulgar wheat
1 large tomato, diced
1 small cucumber, diced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup avocado, cubed
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil

Method
1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan.  Add bulgar and remove from heat and cover.  Allow the bulgar to sit for 25-30 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir.  Let them sit so that the flavors mix together.
3. Stir in cooled bulgar.  Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Dad and Kenz installing the steps down to the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment