Sunday, February 5, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad! Mississippi Mud Cake

     Last year for my Dad's birthday, we celebrated in Maine with a dinosaur cake since Jaxson was really into dinosaurs at this time last year.  This year Dee, Dan, Jax, and Ace are in North Carolina so they aren't here to celebrate with us- although I am still hoping that we can get on Skype later so Jaxson can sing his "Happy Dirtday" song to poppy!
    When thinking about my Dad's cake this year, I knew I didn't have to worry about fancy shapes or odd colors.  But I did want to make something he would love.  My Dad used to love this ice cream, Mississippi Mud, made by this one brand.  They didn't always have it at the grocery store, but when they did we always stocked up.  Unfortunately, they don't make that flavor anymore.  I thought I would try to recreate those flavors he loved with a Mississippi Mud cake because I love my Dad!

Mississippi Mud Cake
Recipe from momsbest.blogspot.com



Ingredients
1 15 oz bag of Oreos
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 6oz box of chocolate instant pudding
1 6 oz box of vanilla instant pudding
3 cups milk
2 tubs of Cool Whip, thawed

Method
1. Crush the Oreos.  Place one cup of the cookie crumbs to the side.
2. MIx the rest of the crushed cookies in a bowl with the melted butter and stir.  Press this mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 cake pan.
3. Using a mixer, beat together the cream cheese and powdered sugar.   Add one of the tubs of Cool Whip and continue to beat.
4. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the cookie crust in the cake pan.
5. Beat together the chocolate and vanilla pudding with the milk.  Beat on low until the mixture starts to thicken.  Add the second tub of Cool Whip and continue to beat.  Spread the pudding mixture on top of the cream cheese layer.
6. Sprinkle the reserved cookie crumbs on top of the cake. I also added toasted almonds since the ice cream my Dad loved had almonds.
7. Refrigerate the cake until it is cold.

The Taste Test
     The cake was a success.  The Cool Whip made it taste nice and light and the cookie crumb crust and toasted almonds added just enough crunch.

Where there is a will there is a way for everyone to be together. xox

These little guys helped Poppy blow out his candles via Skype.  


Last year's dinosaur cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment