Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine Beef and Broccoli

     On the eve of Valentines Day, I found myself stuck in grad school, wishing I was anywhere but.  When I got home, my energy level was dismal but I had promised Arnauld that I would make dinner...something I haven't been so good at following through on lately.  He has been working late most nights, getting home after I've already gone to bed.  I'm not sure what he's been eating for dinner, but luckily he hasn't starved yet!  So for Valentines Day, I enticed him to come home before my bedtime with the promise of dinner.  It worked and he was home shortly after 7!  Luckily this dish was a quick one to throw together.  Only bump in the road was that I didn't read the recipe in advance and didn't realize that the meat should have marinated for a few hours.  I let it sit a few minutes and then into the pan it went.

Beef and Broccoli


Ingredients
1 lb top sirloin, thinly sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp minced onion
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 pinch black pepper
4 cups broccoli
1 scallion, sliced in thin strips for garnish

Method
1. In a large ziplock bag, combine the beef, garlic, onion, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and pepper.  Seal and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
2. Steam the broccoli until cooked, yet still firm.  Set aside and allow to cool.
3. Heat a skillet over medium high heat.  Add the beef and cook for 3-6 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the broccoli and left over marinade for the last two minutes of cooking.
5. Garnish with scallions and serve.

The Taste Test
Simple and tasty.

     In other Valentine cooking news, I came downstairs to a delicious breakfast prepared by my very own Valentine.  Arnauld has been surprising me with special breakfasts a few times a week for the past few weeks.  This breakfast was even more special and delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment