Tuesday, February 28, 2012

California Sandwich

     This recipe is inspired by something I saw on Pinterest.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to try it!  It just looked so fresh and I was right...it tasted just like summer.  When I was little my mom made me Harriet the Spy Sandwiches.  In the book, Harriet the Spy, Harriet always ate cheese sandwiches.    My mom read this book when she was little and passed her copy on to me when I was in elementary school, I still have it today.  My mom created her own version of the cheese sandwich, American Cheese, tomato, and mayo on toasted white bread.  We still call it the Harriet Spy Sandwich.  This was one of my favorite lunches, especially in August when the tomatoes from my Grandma's garden are ripe and delicious.  This california sandwich was like a grown up version of this sandwich.  It's also the type of sandwich that you can adapt in many ways depending on what you have in the fridge or what's in season.

California Sandwich
Makes 2 sandwiches

Ingredients
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp chives, chopped
salt and pepper
2 Roma tomatoes
1 small cucumber
1 small avocado
lime juice
bean sprouts
4 slices wheat bread
2-3 slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts

Method
Yogurt Spread
1. Mix the yogurt and chives together.  Season with salt and pepper.

Tomato Salad
1. Chop the tomato, cucumber, and avocado and combine in a medium bowl.
2. Squeeze in the juice from half a lime.

Putting the Sandwich Together
1. On one piece of bread, spread a layer of the chive yogurt spread.  Top with half of the alfalfa sprouts.
2. Top the sprouts with half of the tomato salad.
3. Add a layer of cheese and the second slice of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment