Sunday, March 25, 2012

Veggie Burgers

    This recipe is adapted from ohsheglows.com, which boasts the very best veggie burgers.  My plan for lunch this week is salad topped with one of these tasty burgers.  I'm excited to try them because I think the almonds and sunflower seeds will give them a nice crunch. 

Veggie Burgers

Ingredients
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
3 eggs
1 cup oat flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 cup grated carrots
1 can of black beans, rinsed, drained, cooked, and mashed
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
1/3 cup toasted almonds
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a large skillet, saute the onion and 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil.
2. Place all the ingredients, except the spices and salt, in a large bowl.  Stir well.  Then add in the seasonings.
3. Wet your hands, and shape the mixture into patties. Try to pack the veggie mixture fairly tight so that they stick together.  This mixture should make about 8 patties.
4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray before placing the veggie burgers on to be baked.
5. Bake 15-17 per side.

 The Taste Test
    I always have trouble getting veggie burgers to stick together.  This recipe actually called for a flax egg mixture.  I wasn't sure about that, so I just added one egg-which clearly was not enough.  So I added another.  I was able to make about 4 burgers before there was just crumble that wouldn't stick together left in the bowl, so I added another egg.  The last 4 burgers that I formed came out the best.  The others sort of crumbled when I moved them to a storage container.  Luckily, I will be adding these burgers to salad, so bits and pieces will work well.  I'll have to continue perfecting the consistency of my veggie burgers.  Any tips are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment