Saturday, March 17, 2012

Baked Chicken and Spinach Flautas

    Well it is St. Patrick's Day and we are making a Mexican dinner.  I saw this recipe on Pinterest this morning and since we weren't really prepared to make corn beef and cabbage, I opted for flautas.  The recipe was pretty straight forward and perfect for the lazy kind of day we are having.

Baked Chicken and Spinach Flautas

Ingredients
1 lb of shredded chicken
1/4 cup of water
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced
3 cups of baby spinach
5 flour tortillas, 9 inch and cut in half
6 oz shredded Mexican cheese
Cooking Spray
Salsa

Method
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Mix the shredded chicken with the seasonings in a medium bowl.
2. Heat the water in a skillet then add the jalapenos and spinach.  Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
3. Prepare a baking sheet but spraying with cooking spray.  Arrange the tortillas on the tray.  Layer the spinach, chicken, and then cheese.
4. Roll the tortillas and place the seam side down.  Spray the flautas with cooking spray.
5. Bake the flautas for 10 minutes, flip, and cook for 10 additional minutes.
6. Serve with salsa.

The Taste Test
    I made this St. Patrick's Day even more international by accidently using curry powder instead of cumin.  I guess that's what I get for thinking I was so organized by lining my spices up in alphabetical order.   The flavors were interesting to say the least.  I wish I had used cumin and we could have experienced this dish as it was intended.  The flautas were really crispy on the outside and the filling was soft and gooey from the cheese.  Next time I'll be a more careful reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment