Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Greek Chicken Thighs

     Today was a great day!  I was finally able to get back into our kitchen and make a real dinner served on real dishes and eaten with real silverware.  While the kitchen isn't quite complete, it is functional.  My dad has spent nearly every day off he has had since May in my kitchen.  He has put more thought into every aspect of our new kitchen than I can even fathom.  It makes our new kitchen all the more special.  This was the first kitchen that my dad completely remodeling.  I know he has learned a lot along the way and my entire family has also learned a lot from my dad through the process.  He likes to share about his thought processes and decisions that he has made.  Just today I learned all about installing molding and the different finishes you can use for creating perfect corners.  Did you know that you can get better quality lumber at a lumberyard for a lot less than at Home Depot?  It's amazing how much my dad knows about so many different things.  It has been fun to see it all come together and then today to be able to see it all in action.  I can never thank my dad enough-or my mom for putting up with all the time he has spent at my house in the last few months. 

Greek Chicken Thighs
Recipe from fortheloveofcooking.net

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 large shallot, sliced into thin rings
1 garlic clove, minced
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper
garlic powder
dried oregano
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 cup kalamata olives, cut in half
1/2 lemon, juiced
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped and divided
2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled


Method
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. In an oven safe skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.  Add the shallots and cook for about 2 minutes or until tender.  Then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Remove the shallots and garlic from the skillet and set aside.
2. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. 
3. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet then add the chicken thighs.  Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side.
4. Flip the chicken and add the shallots mixture, tomatoes, olives,  1 tablespoon of parsley, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
5. Place the entire skillet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked completely.
6. Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle with remaining parsley and feta.

The Taste Test
Delicious and flavorful.

A sneak peak at our kitchen...not yet complete.

The view from our new kitchen window-a bunny who frequents our yard has discovered the tastiest grass on the top of our giant stump.



2 comments: