Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Grilled Flank Steak with Tomato and Onion Topping

     Arnauld was no help for a suggestion for dinner tonight, so once again I turned to Pinterest.  I simply typed in "grilled" since that is my only option.  I came up with a recipe for flank steak from skinnytaste.com.  It is quick and easy, perfect for an evening following a day of baby gear assembly.  Thanks to my sister Dee, we successfully got the highchair, swing, and baby seat all put together while entertaining Ace at the same time.  Not an easy feat I tell ya!

Grilled Flank Stead with Tomato and Onion Topping

Ingredients
1.5 lbs flank steat
kosher salt and pepper
garlic powder
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
3 cups tomato, chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped

Method
1. Poke the steak with a fork before seasoning with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Allow the steak to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before grilling.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine onions, salt and balsamic vinegar.  Allow these ingredients to sit for a few minutes before adding the tomatoes, basil, and olive oil.  
3. Grill the steak on high for about 7 minutes per side or until cooked to your liking.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing on the diagonal.
4. Top with tomato mixture and serve.

The Taste Test
    I am no grill master, especially when it comes to beef.  When I first removed the steak it was very rare.  I put it back on the grill and the end result was a bit dry.  Luckily the tomato topping was delicious and would make a great addition to any grilled dish including chicken and fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment