Sunday, March 3, 2013

More cookies...

     I spent three hours baking cookies because I am part of the team responsible for snacks for tomorrow's faculty meeting.  Arnauld kept asking me what I was doing in the kitchen and when I told him, he said, "Aren't you always in charge of snacks?"  I suppose it would appear that that were true since it seems that I am ALWAYS making cookies.  I think after today, I am on cookie strike.
     I made a plan yesterday and made sure I had everything I needed to execute two easy recipes.  However, once again I demonstrated that I cannot follow directions.  On my first batch of cookies, the recipe called for 1/2 cup of butter.  I proceeded to use two sticks.  As I tried to form balls with the dough, I wondered why it was so sticky.  As I peeked into the oven, I knew something was wrong when my cookies were one giant sloppy puddle on the pan.  Since Pinterest hailed this recipe as "award winning", I had to try again. 

Lemon Crinkle Cookies

Ingredients
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup  sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 whole egg
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
⅛ tsp baking soda
1½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cups powdered sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add the vailla, egg, lemon zest, and juice.
2. Stir in all of the dry ingredients, except the powdered sugar, until combined.  
3. Scoop the powdered sugar onto a plate.  Roll a rounded teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar.
4. Place on baking sheet (non-stick baking sheets) and repeat with remaining dough.
5. Bake 7-9 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies just begin to turn brown.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.






Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup  butter, softened
3/4 cup  sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 package (about 2 cups) butterscotch chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Combine dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl.
2. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl.
3.  Slowly beat in flour mixture and then stir in the oats and butterscotch chips.
4. Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto ungreased baking sheets.
5. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisper cookies.
6. Allow to cool Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment