Sunday, March 10, 2013

Roasted Winter Veggies with Miso-Lime Dressing

     Yesterday was a bittersweet day.  The sweet part was celebrating my Mom's birthday and spending time with our family.  The bitter part was knowing that today my sister and her family would be heading back to North Carolina.  We have been so lucky to have them in Connecticut with us again for such a long stretch of time.  If you had told me when I was a little girl that my sister would be my best friend someday, I would have told you that you were nuts.  But today that is a reality. 
     We all gathered at my parents' house last night for dinner and chaos.  Whenever we are all together there is always a lot of noise...that's what comes with more than 10 adults and 4 kids under the age of five.  I love it!
     I threw this dish together because my mom asked me to bring a side dish.  I literally looked up a recipe in the parking lot of the grocery store an hour before we were expected to be at my parents' house.  I spent a few minutes in the Asian aisle searching for Miso paste, which I never found.  Instead I bought a packet of Miso soup mix that I used instead.  I then rushed home, prepped the veggies and got them in the oven as fast as I could.  We were only a few minutes late!  This veggie recipe was simple and delicious.  I liked the hint of lime flavor that the dressing added.  I think it could be used on a variety of vegetables.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for Miso paste at different stores.

Roasted Winter Vegetables with Miso-Lime Dressing

 Ingredients
8 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
Juice from 1 lime
1 1/2 tsp yellow miso paste (or Miso soup mix without the tofu)
2 tbsp walnut oil
Black pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Arrange three baking racks, evenly spaced, in the oven.
2. Place brussels sprouts, sweet potato and cauliflower on separate baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toss.
3. Bake, turning every 10-15 minutes, until browned and soft.  The brussels should take about 15 minute and the potatoes and cauliflower 25.
4. In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice and miso paste until smooth. Slowly drizzle in the walnut oil, whisking constantly, until thoroughly combined.
5. Place the roasted vegetables in a large bowl, pour in the dressing and toss to coat. Season with black pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.











No comments:

Post a Comment