Saturday, March 23, 2013

Guiness Corned Beef

     Happy St. Patrick's Day!  I was excited to share this holiday with Wren.  Celebrating St. Patrick's Day has never been a big deal to my family but this year, the day has me thinking about my Nanny and Grampy.  They were both very proud of their Irish heritage and that is something I would like to pass onto Wren.  She is quite the mix and I just hope she is proud of all of the backgrounds that make her who she is.
     That being said, I have never attempted to make corned beef.  I always left that up to my mom-who is in Maine for the weekend.  I felt like we had to do something to celebrate our Irishness, so corned beef is on the menu for tonight...

Guiness Corned Beef


Ingredients
2-4 lbs corned beef brisket
1 cup brown sugar
1-2 bottles of Guiness

Method
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
1. Rinse and pat the corned beef dry.
2. Place the brisket in a dutch oven.  Rub brown sugar on all surfaces.  Pour the beer over the meat.  The beer should cover the meat completely.
3. Cover and place in the oven.  Bake for 2 1/2 hours.  Allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing.

The Taste Test
I thought this corned beef came out a little dry.  Talking to a few people the next day at school, I realize that maybe I should have made this meal on the stove top rather than in the oven.  Maybe next year...



May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.


traditional gaelic blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment