Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sesame Crusted Tofu Sticks over Vegetables

    It's been a while since I made tofu, so this past weekend when I was flipping through my cooking light book, a recipe for Sesame Crusted Tofu sticks with a Vegetable Saute caught my eye.  Last night Arnauld was working late so I whipped this up for my dinner and it was delicious!  I made a few modifications to make it a bit healthier, such as cutting out the flour and reducing the amount of sesame oil and breadcrumbs I used.  I loved the way the tofu tasted and can imagine making it the same way another time and using it on top of a salad or other vegetables.  If you don't normally like tofu, I suggest trying this recipe!

Sesame Crusted Tofu Sticks over Vegetable Saute
Ingredients
Tofu
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 18 sticks
1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil

Vegetables
1 (6oz) can of pineapple juice
Cooking Spray
1 medium shallot
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 shiitake mushroom caps
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp thyme (dried or fresh)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Method
1. Prepare tofu by combining egg, egg white, salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Combine the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds in a shallow dish.
2. Dip the tofu in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumb mixture.  You can repeat this process for extra crunch if you like.
3. Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a large skillet.  Add half of the tofu and cook for 4 minutes.  Turn the tofu to brown all of the sides.  Remove and keep warm while repeating the process with the second half of the tofu.
4. Prepare the vegetables by pouring the pineapple juice in a pan (I used the same pan that I used to cook the tofu).  Bring it to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. In a separate pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat, add the shallows, minced garlic, and mushrooms.  Saute for about 4 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and thyme and cook one more minute.
6. Stir in the pineapple juice and balsamic vinegar.  Cook for another minute.
7. Arrange about 1/2 cup of vegetables on a plate to serve.  Top with 3-4 tofu sticks.


The Taste Test
    I loved everything about this tasty little dish.  It would probably taste great with other vegetables thrown in the mix.  It was relatively quick and easy.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it would probably still be a tasty dish with other vegetables in it. I guess seasonal vegetables would be best- cheaper and fresher. I never would have used the sesame seeds like that for tofu but I've done it with chicken. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete