Monday, April 25, 2011

Fish and Chips

   Ever since Lent began and we gave up meat, Arnauld and I have talked about making our own fish and chips.  Well tonight was the night!  I googled a recipe, aiming for something lighter than traditional fish and chips.  I found a recipe that seemed easy enough on the Good Housekeeping website.  I opted to use a recipe for french fries that we had previously tried and enjoyed.

Fish and Chips

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp corn meal
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb cod
lemon cut into wedges
Method
1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper.  Coat the fish in this mixture.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add fish to skillet.
3. Cook fish 4-6 minutes, until fish is opaque.  Turn once.

Tarter Sauce

Ingredients
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp capers, chopped
1 tbsp sweet relish
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 pinch Cayenne pepper

Method
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. 

The Taste Test
I loved this meal!  The fish was light and didn't leave me feeling disgusting and bogged down with oil.  I didn't need a towel to blog the excess oil because there wasn't any.  The tarter sauce was not the best.  The Better Housekeeping recipe didn't list relish as an ingredient, but when I tasted this sauce without the relish, it definitely needed something else.  In the future I might look for another tarter sauce recipe, but when paired with the fish it wasn't bad.  It could have also been the Greek yogurt that made the taste a little off.  The french fries came out great.  I even cut up a sweet potato, which is one of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment