Saturday, April 2, 2011

Huevos Rancheros

    Last week in the city, Arnauld ordered Huevos Rancheros from Norma's.  Once again we found ourselves analyzing the dish so that we could try to replicate it on our own.  Luckily my best pal Heather had a recipe posted online that we used as a reference.  I was nervous as Arnauld took his first bite.  I anxiously asked, "Do you like Norma's better?"  His reply was, "No.  I like this better!"  Success!

Huevos Rancheros
This was Arnauld's plate.

Ingredients
2 Medium Sized Tortillas (per person)
1/2 Cup Mexican Shredded Cheese
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic salt
fresh salsa
4 large eggs
1 avocado, mashed with a pinch of salt
sour cream (optional)

Method
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the onions and the galic.  Cook until softened and then add the beans, cayenne pepper, cumin, and garlic salt. Cook until hot, about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle cheese, about 1/4 cup, between the two tortillas to create a cheese and tortilla sandwich.  Bake on a cookie sheet for about 7 minutes or until crispy.
4. We fried some eggs, over easy to put on top of our tortillas although Heather suggests poaching them.
5.  Assemble your Huevo Ranchero by layering the beans, salsa, and then eggs over your tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
6. Add a dallop of avocado and sour cream and enjoy!
My more boring dish.


The Taste Test
There was so much going on in this dish, but it all worked so well together.  I'm usually not a big fan of salsa, but something about all of the different flavors here really came together.  I was very full but very happy when I was done.  Also, if you time everything right, this can be a very quick meal.  We started cooking pretty late last night and since I've never poached an egg before, I decided I would leave that experiment for another time.  Thanks Heather for the inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Huevos Rancheros! If you need help poaching eggs, let me know. Bean seems to have gotten it down well enough and he is happy to help!

    ReplyDelete