Thursday, April 21, 2011

Scallops with Paprika Syrup

     I have never been a fan of scallops.  They were the food I would sit tight lipped at the dinner table as a child for what seemed like hours, refusing to eat even one.  The thought of it still makes me shudder.  So when Arnauld said scallops were something he really enjoyed, I had to suck up my life long distaste.  This recipe was one I marked from April's Cooking Light, knowing that the day when I'd have to try and make scallops would come.

Scallops with Paprika Syrup

Ingredients
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
Juice from 1 lemon
2 tsp olive oil, divided
1/2 lb scallops
1/4 tsp pepper

Method
1. Combine sugar, paprika, red pepper, and lemon juice in a small saucepan.  Heat up and bring to a boil.  Let cook for 4 minutes and then allow to cool slightly.
2. While the paprika syrup is cooking, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add 1 tsp oil and swirl to coat.  Pat the scallops dry using a paper towel.  Sprinkle them with pepper and add to skillet.  Cook 2 minutes per side.

The Cooking Light recipe suggests serving the scallops over spinach, I made broccoli because it was what I had.  Drizzle paprika syrup over the scallops and veggies.

The Taste Test
     Scallops are not as horrible as I remember, but I still don't think I would go so far to say I like them.  Masked with broccoli, I was able to swallow them without plugging my nose.  I let the paprika syrup sit too long and it was sticky and chewy like a peppery fruit roll up.  I had to heat it up a bit to try and get it to "drizzle" over the scallops and broccoli.  I don't think I'll be attempting that again.  The method for cooking the scallops was very quick and easy, so if I do make them again, I would consider making them in the skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment