Saturday, April 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Dee!

    Today is my sister, Dee's 25th birthday.  To celebrate we decided to have breakfast for dinner.  When I shared my success with Huevos Rancheros, my family quickly requested we add the dish to the birthday menu.  I had been looking forward to trying to make crepes for about two weeks, ever since I received an email with a super simple recipe.  But out the window that plan went.  So since I am cooking up Huevo Rancheros...again... I decided to give poaching a try.  Risky, I know.  I just read about a "simple" way to do it, so I am going to test it out.  Wish me luck!

How (Not) to Poach an Egg  

1. Lay some plastic wrap, about 1 square foot, over a small bowl.  Spray the wrap with cooking spray and push the wrap into the bowl slightly.
 

2. Crack and egg onto the plastic and use a string or a twist tie to close the little bundle.


3. Drop the bundle into simmering water, not boiling.

4.  Cook for 3-4 minutes before fishing the bundle out with a slotted spoon.

5. Cross your fingers and hope for a perfectly poached egg.

   I'm not going to lie and say that I think I will try poaching an egg again this way any time soon!  The end result wasn't bad, but it didn't go as smoothly as I had envisioned.  I think I dropped the eggs into the water too soon, so it took longer than 4 minutes.  The string also loosened once the bags were in the water and I think some water got into the bundles.  I only ended up "poaching" four eggs because I was worried it wasn't going to work.  I may try a different method some other time...when I'm not entertaining guests!


Mom's Baked French Toast

Recipe Coming Soon!



Fruit Salad
Breakfast for dinner was a big hit!
A group effort to get all those candles blown out.

Happy Birthday Dee!
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment