Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Asian Grilled Salmon with Parmesan Roasted Asparagus

     If you haven't been able to figure it out yet, I like simple recipes with the fewest amount of ingredients...most of the time.  I think this helps to keep the favors simple, the meals healthy, and when it really comes down to it- I don't want to spend every spare minute I have in the kitchen.  When choosing recipes, the ingredient list really makes it or breaks it for me.  If there is something I don't have or I don't think I'll use often, I'm on to the next possibility.  That was the case tonight when looking for something to do with salmon on the grill.  I found this recipe on The Food Network website.

Asian Grilled Salmon

Ingredients
1 lb salmon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic

Method
1. Whisk together oil, mustard, soy sauce, and garlic.
2. Spoon over salmon, reserving some for later.
3. Grill salmon on oiled grates, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Remove from grill and spoon remaining marinade over fish and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. 

Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
Ingredients
1 lb asparagus, trimmed
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
sea salt to taste

Method
Heat oven to 400 degrees
1. Toss asparagus in oil.
2. Sprinkle with cheese and salt.
3. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes.

The Taste Test
    I didn't follow my own directions.  4-5 minutes a side!  It looked too pink out on the grill and I worried the fish would be undercooked, even though the recipe I was working from said the fish would continue to cook on the plate, that's why you let it sit for 10 minutes.  I got nervous.  The fish was a little dry, but not completely ruined.  The sauce was light and added just enough flavor.  Luckily there was extra sauce to help moisten it up a bit!  Next time I'll follow the directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment