Monday, April 18, 2011

Coconut Cookies

    We are going to my Grandma's house for "dinner" today.  Dinner at Gram's house typically takes place at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.  Of course when I asked Gram what I could bring, she said nothing.  She never comes to my house empty handed so I am going to bring dessert.  My Grandma makes great dinner-she's good at pasta, meatballs, stuffed shells, lasagna...all that good stuff.  She isn't known for her desserts.
     I had about an hour to execute a dessert.  I knew I had a bag of shredded coconut in the pantry so I decided to go from there.  I found a recipe on Martha Stewart's website that involved mixing all of the ingredients in the food processor, something I've never done before.

Coconut Cookies

Ingredients
1 14oz bag of shredded coconut, sweetened
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Set aside 2 cups of coconut on a plate.
2. Place the rest of the coconut, sugar, salt, and baking powder in the food processor.  Process until it is all finely ground together.  Add butter and process until there are no lumps.
3. Add in the egg and the vanilla and process until smooth.
4. Add flour to the food processor.  Pulse until the batter is mixed and crumbly.
5. Scoop out leveled tablespoons of batter and drop onto the plate with the coconut.  Roll in coconut and form into balls.  Place on a cookie sheet. 
6. Bake cookies for 23-25 minutes.  The cookies should be lightly golden.  Leave on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

The Taste Test

No comments:

Post a Comment