Saturday, April 23, 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes

     This week, while on vacation, I went through the basket full of magazines I have that is getting out of control.  I have been pulling recipes that I might want to try sometime and trying to organize them into my recipe binder I made at Christmas time and haven't really used yet.  All the magazine browsing has reminded me of recipes that I had marked  and now I feel refreshed and full of great ideas.  This recipe for oatmeal pancakes is from the September 2010 Cooking Light magazine.

Oatmeal Pancakes

Ingredients
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashion oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk (I bet you could use any kind of milk, I happened to have buttermilk)
2 tbsp smart balance (or butter), melted
1 egg
Cooking Spray

Method
1. Combine first seven ingredients and whisk together in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and butter.
3. Combine milk mixture and flour mixture, stirring just until everything is moist.
4. Heat a griddle over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray.  Spoon 2 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture to form pancakes on the griddle.  Turn when the pancakes begin to bubble and the bottoms are lightly browned.

The Taste Test
  These pancakes didn't bubble like traditional pancakes so as I waited for bubbles, the bottoms of a few of my pancakes got a little too dark.  I had to persuade Arnauld to eat my pancakes this morning, he really wanted no part of them.  However, he went back for seconds and seemed to really enjoy them.  I also liked these pancakes.  In the past we used the just add water mix, but it felt nice to know what was actually in my pancakes.  The oatmeal added a bit more texture to the pancakes but they were still light and fluffy.  Paired with fresh fruit, they made a great breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment