Sunday, July 3, 2011

Vacation Series: Watermelon Salsa

     Arnauld was finally able to tear himself away from work in order to spend a few days with us in Maine, for vacation.  We planned to make dinner for the family.  Arnauld made his fish tacos and homemade guacamole, that he had made for me before.  I wanted to add something to the mix, so I made watermelon salsa.  I have never had watermelon salsa so I crossed my fingers and hoped it would be a hit.

Watermelon Salsa

Ingredients
3 cups watermelon, finely diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 large jalepeno, minced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
Juice from 1 lime
Salt to taste

Method
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.

The Taste Test
    When I chose watermelon salsa, I thought it sounded perfect for summer.  It was an interesting mix of flavors that tasted great.  I read that you can use watermelon salsa on top of grilled fish, chicken, or steak.  We had ours with tortilla chips.  Everyone seemed to enjoy this twist on salsa.








2 comments:

  1. Since it's just now becoming "real summer" here, we made the watermelon salsa the other night to have with blue tortilla chips as well as over our grilled tilapia (grilled as seen in the chili rubbed tilapia recipe). I was a bit skeptical of the watermelon in the salsa, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the flavors blended together. I would have this again over a white fish with some grilled corn on the side for the perfect summer meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unsure of watermelon in salsa but I was also pleasantly surprised! Since making this salsa I have also use watermelon in a farro salad. I actually just made it for the second time this week and it has been one of my summer favorites. Thanks for taking the time to let me know your experiences with these recipes. It's nice to know we can share so much despite being on opposite coasts!

    ReplyDelete