Monday, July 25, 2011

Shrimp Lettuce Wraps aka NFL Wraps

    I missed home cooked meals while being away last week.  I've discovered that eating out is nice as a treat every once in a while, but these days I much prefer making my own meals.  I know exactly what goes into each dish and the entire experience is one that leaves me feeling accomplished and satisfied. 
     Arnauld has been on a role with giving me ideas for dinner.  Yesterday he suggested some sort of lettuce wraps, which we've had out to eat a few times but never attempted on our own.  There were several recipes that I found that called for rice noodles but I attempted a version that used cabbage instead.

Shrimp Lettuce Wraps


Ingredients
1 lb shrimp, raw
1 head of lettuce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp Mirin
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp red chili paste
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
6 cups cabbage, finely shredded

Method
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, and chili paste.  Set this mixture aside.
2. Heat the vegetable and sesame oils, in a large skillet or wok, over medium high heat.  Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 1 minute.  Add the shrimp and cook until heated through. 
3. Add the sauce and cabbage and continue cooking until the cabbage begins to wilt.
4. Remove from the stove using a slotted spoon.
5. Serve cabbage mixture over large lettuce leaves.  Roll the lettuce leaves like a wrap and enjoy!

The Taste Test
    When Arnauld walked in the house he said, "It smells banging in here."  After trying the lettuce wraps he proclaimed that they were just as good as P.F. Changs.  The sauce was really tasty, despite the fact that I left out the sugar that the recipe called for.   Arnauld is also so excited that football is back that he named this dish, the N.F.Lettuce Wraps.  My vote was for at least one season without football, but I have a feeling I am not the majority on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment