Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Grandma's Zucchini Bread

    So today was the day I finally made zucchini bread with my grandma.  Her garden graced her with a few large zucchinis that she managed to keep safe from her worst nightmare, a relentless woodchuck.  When I got to her house she had all of the ingredients lined up, the nuts chopped, and the zucchini shredded.  She was ready and as excited as I was to make zucchini bread together.  You may recall my own attempt a few weeks back, with Rosemary Lemon Zucchini Bread.  Grandma told me I used too much baking soda.  So today we went back to the basics.  My Grandma doesn't mind getting a little messy in the kitchen-I must take after her!  She even encouraged using your hands to mix, especially when mixing in the nuts and zucchini.  She said she lost a few hand-held mixers to zucchini bread over the years.  

Grandma's Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup oil
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups zucchini
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Method
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. Beat eggs until fluffy.
2. Add sugar, vanilla, and oil. Blend well.
3. Sift in all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Stir in zucchini and nuts.
5. Pour mixture between two greased and floured loaf pans.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until done.

The Taste Test
   The way zucchini bread should be!

My Gram getting her hands dirty. 

Grandma's garden (the upper level).  It has shrunk over the years but it's still an amazing work of art for 84 year old woman.

Squash

Peppers

Eggplant

The lower level.  The right hand side is usually covered in beans but this year a chubby woodchuck ate them all.  Gram was not too happy.  She tried replanting the beans three times!

Gram plants a variety of different tomatoes.  Here are the first few red ones.

One lonely bean plant.

Figs


Apples 
Pears

1 comment:

  1. I have a zucchini waiting for this! And thank you for getting the recipe. I remember when my mom had to force her way into the kitchen to watch her make meatballs. Give my thanks to your grandma!

    ReplyDelete