Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pesto

   I think I've mentioned that my Grandma planted a backup garden in my yard this year.  Two summers ago, all of her tomato plants died and she had no tomatoes.  It was a very sad time for her, so sad that she went to a local farm and bought enough tomatoes to make her own sauce despite having plenty of jars stored away.  Ever since that summer, she has planted tomato plants in my yard as well as my mom's, just in case.  She takes drives over while I am at work to check things out-she's like a traveling farmer.  Well this year she expanded the variety of plants to include peppers, squash, cucumbers, and basil.  We have a lot of basil so today I decided to put it to use and make some pesto.

Pesto
Recipe from Whole Foods

Ingredients
2 cups fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup Romano Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper

Method
1. Combine all ingredients in the food processor and pulse until smooth.

The Taste Test
     This pesto came out creamier than any pesto I have ever had before.  It was also very light on the oil, which helped it to taste nice and fresh.  Next time I make this, I may use a bit less cheese and maybe more basil.  I think I'll have to make another batch fairly soon since we have so much basil growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment