Sunday, July 31, 2011

Honey Roasted Chick Peas

     I had a bowl of chick peas that I had soaked a few days ago, used a few, and now had a ton of leftovers just sitting in the refrigerator.  Every time I opened the fridge, I was reminded that I should do something with them.  This morning I remembered a site I read a long time ago that had suggestions for all different seasonings you can use when roasting chickpeas in the oven.  Have you ever had roasted chick peas?  They are so crunchy and a great snack.  You can read over the list and see which flavors speak to you.  This morning, I chose cinnamon and honey.  I am really happy with this choice because as we speak, the chick peas are roasting in the oven and my house smells so delicious!

Honey Roasted Chick Peas

Ingredients
2 cups Chick peas, dried and soaked over night
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey

Method
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
1. In a large bowl, mix chick peas, cinnamon, and sugar together making sure to coat all of the chickpeas in the mixture.
2. Place the chick peas in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 90 minutes.
3. Transfer the chick peas to a large bowl, drizzle with honey, and mix to coat.
4.  Allow to cool and store in an air tight container.

The Taste Test
     These definitely smelled a lot better than they tasted...not that they tasted bad at all.  They just smelled so sweet and delicious baking in the oven.  I think I may prefer my chick peas more savory than sweet.  I will have to experiment with some of the other flavors until I find my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment