Sunday, January 23, 2011

Broccoli Soup

    Creamy broccoli soup has always been one of my favorites.  Oddly, I have never attempted to make it...until today!  Another recipe from February's Real Simple Magazine.

Broccoli Soup

Ingredients
2 bunches of broccoli (about 7 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large potato or a few small ones, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (white)

Method
1.  Heat oil in pot over medium heat.  Add onion and cook for 4-6 minutes.
2. Add broccoli, potato, broth, water, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Cover and simmer under vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
3. Use an immersion blender to blend soup until it is smooth.  Add a bit of grated cheese to the top before serving.


The Taste Test
    I was a little worried about the taste of this soup given that there is no cream and very little cheese.  I was pleasantly surprised as I had my first taste.  You would never know that this soup was made without cream and a ton of cheese.  The potato really helps to give it a really thick and creamy taste.  I did grate a little cheese over my soup, which gave it just a bit of extra flavor but it would be totally fine on it's own.  I'm really excited about this one.  I can't wait for my sister to get home so I can make her a batch...it's one of her favorites too!

1 comment: