Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tofu Stir Fry

    Thinking ahead to lunch this week, I didn't really have any stellar plans or ideas.  I had a package of tofu in the fridge that I needed to use, so I let that guide me this week.  I decided to make a stir fry, quick and easy.  I consulted a couple of online recipes before winging my own concoction.

Tofu Stir Fry




Ingredients
14 oz package of tofu
1 bunch of broccoli
1 bunch of asparagus
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt


Marinade
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp water


Sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water


Method
1. Drain and remove excess water from tofu.
2. Place the cubed tofu in a bowl with the mixed marinade ingredients.  Let sit for 30 minutes.
3. While the tofu is marinading, chop your vegetables and mix together the ingredients for the sauce.
4. Next heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat.  Heat 1 tbsp of oil.  Next add the tofu and brown each side.  Then remove the tofu from the skillet and set aside.
5. Add another tbsp (or less) of olive oil to the skillet and add minced garlic cloves.  After about 2 minutes, add the vegetables, sprinkle with salt, and add 1/2 cup of water.  Cover the skillet to steam vegetables for 4-5 minutes.
6. Once the vegetables are tender, remove any excess water, then add the tofu back to the skillet.  Pour the sauce over the skillet and heat all of the ingredients together.
7.  Serve over brown rice.

The Taste Test
     Many stir fry recipes call of corn starch; however, I find that it is not necessary so I never include this ingredient.  This stir fry came out really great.  The vegetables were perfectly tender and really soaked up the flavor of the soy sauce.  The veggies reminded me of the flavor of Chinese Vegetables, one of my favorite dishes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment