Sunday, January 2, 2011

Quinoa Tofu and Veggies

    2011 and I am going to start the year off with something other than soup for lunch!  I wanted to try something new, so I bought some tofu at the store and then searched for a recipe.  I found a recipe for Quinoa Tofu and Veggies at savvyvegetarian.com.  I adapted the recipe a bit based on what I had in the kitchen.  It was pretty easy to make and I took a bite to taste test it and it was good!  There is a lot of texture and I think it will be really filling.

Quinoa Tofu and Veggies
Ingredients
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 lb extra firm tofu
  • 1/4 cup cashew pieces-The recipe never mentioned where these came in, I just tossed them in with the tofu
  • 1 Tbsp peeled minced fresh ginger
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 six inch zucchini
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1/4 tsp dried rosemary leaf
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp gr coriander
  • 2 - 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup minced parsley or cilantro
Method
  1. Soak quinoa 15 - 20 minutes, rinse, drain and set aside
  2. Cut tofu in bite sized cubes, place in a small bowl, sprinkle with garlic salt and soy sauce and shake or stir to coat with marinade. Set aside
  3. Heat 1 -2 Tbsp olive oil on low in a large pan
  4. Mince ginger and garlic
  5. Chop celery, carrots, and zucchini into small pieces.
  6. Turn the heat up to medium, and stir fry ginger, garlic, celery, carrots for 5 minutes
  7. Add zucchini and stir fry another five minutes
  8. Stir in dry spices, herbs
  9. Add the drained quinoa and stir until coated with spices
  10. Add 1 3/4 cup water, and salt, then bring to a boil, cover and cook 15 minutes on low
  11. Meanwhile, fry the tofu cubes on medium, stirring and turning, until browned
  12. Stir tofu and parsley into the quinoa and vegetables
  13. Heat on low for another few minutes and serve
The Taste Test
     This dish had a lot of flavor and texture.  The combination of ginger and soy sauce along with the cashews made this a really tasty lunch.  The tofu had a good consistency, not too mushy.  I've found a good method for getting all of the excess water out of my tofu, although it looks a bit strange.  I remove the tofu from the package and pat it dry with paper towel.  I then place the tofu between several layers of paper towel and underneath my heaviest cutting board.  I then place canisters of sugar and grains on top and let it sit for about 45 minutes.  It's amazing how much water gets removed through this process.  I bought another package of tofu at the store this week.  I'm excited to try and find something new to try.  Stay tuned... 

    2 comments:

    1. I am definitely going to try this recipe if you say it was good, Mook!! I am such a bad, bad vegetarian. I barely know how to make anything with tofu, but I sure am going to try now! Also, my friend, Nikki, made that chicken over tomatoes and cannelini beans dish and everyone loved it...I even tried a bean and thought it was yummy. Did you know red kidney beans are super good for you? I just bought a can at the store and now I need to find a suitable recipe...Let me know if you have any ideas! Love you and Happy New Year!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Happy New Year to you too! This is a really good recipe and tofu is easy. I'm going to try to use it more. Kidney beans are also yummy. You can make them in a veggie chili. I'm glad your friend tried the tomato and bean recipe I posted. That makes me happy. Thanks for being such a loyal reader!

      ReplyDelete